SEOUL, South Korea (AP) 鈥 The U.S. and South Korean militaries wrapped up their six days earlier than initially scheduled on Friday in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, though the North said the step isn’t enough to persuade it to return to talks.
U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise just before it began Monday. Trump cited what he described as a with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea鈥檚 refusal to support him over the war in
South Korea’s military said the Ulchi Freedom Shield, a command post exercise with the U.S., ended on Friday.
This month’s exercise was initially reportedly scheduled to be held in two phases for 11 days in simulation of North Korean attacks 鈥 the first part until Friday on defensive operations and the second part until Aug. 27 on counteroffensive operations. North Korea is extremely sensitive to the second phase.
South Korea and the U.S. had also planned to hold 14 joint field training exercises during the Ulchi Freedom Shield period. But they’ve agreed to halve them as well, according to South Korea’s military.
North Korea shrugs off Trump’s outreach
the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Trump鈥檚 overture on Wednesday, saying that reducing the duration and size of the drills won’t change their 鈥減rovocative, aggressive nature.鈥
The next day, North Korea fired about 10 short-range toward the sea, apparently following through with its previous threat to respond to the U.S.-South Korean drills that it views as an invasion rehearsal.
The U.S. Pacific Command said the events didn’t pose an immediate threat to U.S. territory or its allies. The command said the U.S. remains committed to the defense of the U.S. homeland and its allies in the region.
Kim Yo Jong’s statement dampened hopes for an early between Trump and Kim Jong Un, whose earlier nuclear in 2019. Kim Jong Un has used the diplomatic stalemate to increase his leverage by modernizing his nuclear and missile arsenals and over its war against Ukraine. Kim Jong Un suggested last year that he won’t return to talks unless the U.S. drops its demand for North Korean for diplomacy.
Kim Yo Jong still used relatively measured language, avoided typical harsh North Korean rhetoric and touched upon what she called an 鈥渆xcellent鈥 relationship between her brother and Trump. This suggests North Korea doesn’t want to completely shut the door for future talks and may seek to win bigger U.S. concessions, such as international recognition as a nuclear state and broad sanctions relief.
More nuclear weapons, Russia ties give North Korea greater leverage
With its supply of ammunition and troops to Russia, North Korea is likely receiving economic and military assistance in return, and its expanding provides it with leverage to ask for greater support from China, its biggest trading partner.
鈥淎fter this strategic play has run its course, Kim may seek further economic and reputational benefits from Washington,鈥 said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University in Seoul. 鈥淏ut that will probably be after the U.S. midterm elections when Trump is expected to be in a weaker domestic political position and in search of headline-grabbing foreign policies.鈥
Kim Dong-yub, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said that Kim Yo Jong’s statement showed North Korea’s position that a personal relationship between her brother and Trump 鈥渃an’t be a factor that moves current North Korean-U.S. relations.鈥 He said Kim Yo Jong likely aimed to head off speculation that Trump’s move can restore diplomacy so as not to fully take the blame when it doesn’t happen.
Kim Yo Jong denied Trump鈥檚 claim that had responded to his request for a conversation. When asked by reporters Wednesday if he would be meeting with Kim Jong Un this year, Trump said that 鈥淵eah, I will be.鈥
The is one of the main military exercises conducted by the U.S. and South Korea annually to enhance their ability to cope with potential North Korean aggression. Its downsizing has caused worries about joint U.S.-South Korean readiness.
Copyright © 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.